Coconut & Hemp Milk Pudding thickened with Arrowroot Starch topped with Soaked Chia Seeds, Ataulfo Mango and Toasted Coconut Flakes
Total Time: 2 hours minimum
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Setting Time: 2+ hours
Cooking Time: 3 minutes
Makes: 4 parfaits
Allergens: seeds, tree nuts
This hemp and coconut milk based layered parfait is light, ladened with tropical fruity goodness and has just the right amount of sweetness. Fresh and peak of the season mangoes uplifts this dessert with its bright flavor, with soaked chia seeds for another textural layer, and finally topped with toasted coconut flakes for a nutty, crunchy finish. Prepare this dessert in advance for your next summer brunch party or enjoy at breakfast for a refreshingly sweet start to your day!
Puddings are usually thickened with eggs or cornstarch but for this one, I use arrowroot starch to make it paleo, grain-free and vegan friendly.
- 1 14 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup of unsweetened hemp milk
- ½ cup of condensed coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- ¼ cup of arrowroot starch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water to make a slurry
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoons of maple syrup
- ½ cup of unsweetened hemp milk
- 3 ataulfo or champagne mangoes, skinned, flesh removed, then cubed
- ¼ cup of coconut flakes, toasted
1.) Chia topping: Combine the chia seeds, maple syrup and hemp milk in a mixing bowl, whisk together, set it aside covered in plastic wrap, and let it thicken.
2.) Pudding: Combine the hemp milk, coconut milk, condensed coconut milk and the vanilla bean seeds in a pot. Bring this to a boil, add the arrowroot starch slurry and cook for a minute on medium high while continuously whisking. Divide the pudding base into 4 parfait or mini trifle glass containers and place in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or until cold and set.
3.) Toppings: While waiting for the pudding to cool, toast your coconut flakes in a pan on medium heat for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crisp. For the mango topping, cube half of the flesh and purée the other half. Fold together.
3.) Assemble: When the pudding is cold and set, top them with the soaked chia seeds, mangoes and toasted coconut flakes. Serve and enjoy!
Related: Could CBD help in your weight-loss journey? Click here for our comprehensive guide to CBD for seniors seeking weight loss.
- Storing and shelf life: Wrap each parfait with plastic film and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days
- You can make the pudding a day in advance if you like to ensure a perfectly set base.
- Any ripe in season mango will work in this recipe, 2 alphonso mangoes can replace the 3 ataulfo ones.
- You can also toast the coconut flakes in the oven. Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Watch carefully because they burn very easily!
- If you do not have maple syrup, use honey.
- If you cannot find condensed coconut milk, use a combination of ¼ cup maple syrup/honey and ¼ cup of coconut cream as a replacement.
- Once the arrowroot starch is added, do not boil any longer than a minute or two. This will give it more of a gloppy, undesirable texture.
- Easily up the ante of this recipe by adding a dropper-full of CBD oil to your final product. Click here for the perfect mango-flavored CBD oil to add to this recipe.
- I don’t have arrowroot starch, what can I use instead? You can use cornstarch in its place if you do not have any dietary restrictions. Use the same amount as a 1:1 replacement.
- Can I substitute the hemp milk? You can use any unsweetened plant-based milks such as almond, cashew or oat.