A Mediterranean favorite, right from the comfort of your own kitchen. Shakshuka is a traditional dish of poached eggs in a sauce usually made of tomatoes, peppers, olive oil and a variety of spices. This delicious recipe can be served up for breakfast, lunch or dinner – paired perfectly with pita or naan. Your impeccable brunch awaits!
This delicious and wholesome recipe combines fresh tomatoes with yellow onion, bell peppers and a touch of jalapeño, chickpeas and hemp hearts, all with a beautiful mix of herbs and spices. This flavorful dish is not only the ideal quick meal to put together, lacking in nothing from protein to color, it will leave you feeling full and nourished. Hemp hearts are known for their high amino-acid content, making them a heart-healthy and cholesterol-friendly addition to any recipe. Combined with healthy fats like olive oil and nutrient dense free-range eggs, this recipe is not only healthy, but delicious! Get ready for your new favorite go-to meal, easy to make for any feast of the day, and just as delightful every time.
Spicy Chickpea & Hemp Heart Shakshuka
Ready in 25 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 6 large organic pasture raised eggs
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (keep seeds)
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons of hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1-¾ cups of chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon of salt and black pepper
- Preheat an oven to 350F.
- Heat a large skillet to medium. Place the tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and bell peppers in the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until everything is soft and a little caramelized. Add the chickpeas, garlic, hemp hearts, cumin and paprika and cook for another minute. Add the parsley, cilantro, tomato paste, chicken broth, salt and pepper, stir everything together, bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Make a little indent with a back of a spoon in the stewed vegetables and crack an egg into it. Repeat for all 6 eggs.
- Bake the shakshuka in the oven for about 15-18 minutes or until the egg whites appear cooked through.
- Top with extra hemp hearts and serve!
- Using one skillet to cook everything makes this dish super easy and minimizes the cleanup. This is the perfect home cooked breakfast for the person who’s always in a rush in the morning!
- Cracking the eggs into a small bowl before placing them in the stew is a surefire way to avoid getting pesky shells into your shakshuka.
- Enjoy this common middle eastern breakfast with pita, rice or toasted bread!
- Add feta cheese, chicken sausage or cooked ground beef to this recipe for an extra protein boost.
Related: Curious about how to potentially incorporate CBD in your cooking? Click here.