Do you have a little bit of sweet tooth? Don’t worry you’re not alone! Everyone loves to top of dinner with a sweet little treat. But how can you keep from making your small indulgence far from a cheat day? These tasty Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Cannaflour Macaroons are the perfect fix for a sweet treat with a spin. Read on for our delicious recipe!
What is cannaflour and how is it made?
Not like butter or cooking oil infusions, cannaflour encompasses cooking with and consuming ground-up cannabis. Cannaflour is easy to prepare and is a core staple of cooking with cannabis. To properly prepare your cannaflour, be sure you are using cannabis that has been decarboxylated cannabis (aka, heated) ground very finely. The preparation and storage of cannaflour is very important, to ensure freshness and taste. To decarboxylate your cannabis, preheat oven to 200-250 degrees. On a large baking sheet, spread your cannabis and place in oven between 40-60 minutes, rotating the sheet or flipping the cannabis throughout to ensure even heating. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Next grind your cannabis as finely as possible, using a blender or food processor.
Next, combine ½ cup finely ground cannabis with 1 cup flour of your choice for a cannaflour mixture. Or keep your ground and dried cannabis in a separate air-tight container and add to flour or recipes directly. Keep in mind, whether as a combined mixture or on its own, cannaflour will have an earthy herbal taste to it. For this recipe, our cannaflour preference is 1 tablespoon of pure cannaflour combined with almond and coconut flour as dry ingredients for a great keto-friendly mix.
Now that we have our cannaflour, let’s move on to these immaculate macaroons! Made with dark chocolate and course sea salt, for a perfect balance of salty and sweet without overdoing it on the sugar. Indulge on!
Ready 45 minutes
Makes 16 pieces
- 1-½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ c coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely ground almond flour
- 3 tablespoons cannaflour
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature, beaten until fluffy
- 1 teaspoon Madagascar vanilla extract
- Hemp oil, for greasing silicone mold
- 8 oz 70% dark chocolate
- Maldon flaky salt
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine unsweetened shredded coconut, coconut sugar, almond flour, cannaflour, egg whites and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Using hemp oil, grease a mini muffin silicone mold on all sides to prevent sticking. Fill each crevice with the macaroon mixture and press down so they are packed tight. Bake for 18 minutes on the middle rack of the oven.
- Cool the macaroons in the mold for about 5 minutes. Remove and continue cooling on a wire rack for about 10-15 minutes.
- While waiting for the cookies to cool, bring a medium pot with 2 inches of water to a boil, and then simmer. Place the dark chocolate in a glass bowl that perfectly fits on top of the pot. This is a double boiler and it works to melt your chocolate as well as keeping it melted for your macaroons.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and grease with coconut oil cooking spray. Place each cookie in the chocolate bath and coat each side using two forks. Gently drop the chocolate covered macaroons onto the tray, sprinkle with maldon flaky salt, and cool completely in the fridge and enjoy!
- If you don’t have a mini muffin silicone mold, dropping them onto an oiled and parchment paper lined baking tray using a 2 oz ice cream scoop works as well
- If your house temperature is too high, make sure to store these in the fridge
- Baking with cannaflour can yield very potent edibles. This recipe is great but beware, a little goes a long way!