Granola is such a versatile food, perfect to take on the go, kick-start your day or add some crunch to your ice cream sundae. Many store bought granolas are loaded with sugar and extra sweeteners. With our Keto Superfood Granola, that is far from the case. Read on for a delicious and nutritious superfood granola recipe.
A keto diet focuses on reducing carbs while adding healthy fats that the body can burn for energy. Keto, when done the right way, can help to lower blood sugar and insulin levels, shifting the body’s metabolism from burning carbs to the healthy fats, creating a state of ketosis. This granola recipe is the keto-dieters dream snack, packed with a variety of nuts, seeds and hemp hearts – all Omega packed essential healthy fats.
Hemp hearts are one of the most powerful ingredients in this granola. Hemp hearts are the seeds of a hemp plant, known to have high protein quantities as well as essential amino acids, vitamins and fatty acids. Hemp hearts have a nutty, somewhat subtle earthy flavor that only adds to the deliciousness of this granola. Combined with the hemp oil used in this recipe, the health factor of hemp is through the roof! If you are looking for a way to add even a little more, add a dropper full of your favorite CBD oil to the bowl in step three below. When cooking with CBD, be aware of heat use and make sure your oven is set to no higher than 350!
Now let’s get to baking, and better yet, eating this heart-healthy Keto Superfood Granola!
Ready in 30 minutes
Yields 2.5 cups
- ½ cup of almonds, chopped
- ½ cup of walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup of brazil nuts, chopped
- ½ cup of macadamia nuts, chopped
- ¼ cup of hemp hearts
- ¼ cup of sprouted sunflower seeds
- ⅛ cup of black sesame seeds
- ⅛ cup of flax seeds
- ⅛ cup of chia seeds
- ¼ cup of cocoa nibs
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of clove
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon Madagascar vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of hemp seed oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F, line a baking tray with parchment paper and spray it with coconut oil.
- Combine all of the nuts, seeds, cocoa nibs, coconut flakes and dried spices in a bowl together and toss.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with a fork until they are foamy and have doubled in size. Add the hemp oil, egg whites and vanilla extract to the nut and seed mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Bake for 18 minutes in the middle rack of the oven.
- Cool completely and snack away!
- Be careful of the temperature of your oven and the duration you cook this recipe to, burning or over toasting the nuts drastically changes their flavor and makes them really unpleasant. Bake in the top rack and turn them half way for a more even distribution of heat if you do have a an old and finicky oven
- If you don’t have all these nuts and seeds, you can just throw more of another type into the mix (as long as you are following proportions) to create your own version of a superfood granola
- You can eat this as a keto cereal with your favorite type of milk, or even on top of oatmeal for a nutritious breakfast that will keep you full of energy all day long!