These blooming onions are so easy to make and come out delicious. Trust me you won’t miss the deep fry or the batter for this classic snack. Grain-free and hemp-filled, this makes for a quick, guilt free version and no need to leave home!
Related: Could CBD help keep your gut healthy and in good function? Click here to learn more about why adding CBD to your routine could aid in gut health and the best ways to take advantage.
Yields: 2 onions
- Sweet Onions, 2 Small
- Almond Flour, 1/4 Cup
- Arrowroot Starch, 1/4 Cup
- Organic Hemp Flour, 1/4 Cup
- Organic Hemp Oil, 2Tbsp
- Kosher Salt, 1Tbsp
- Paprika, 1tsp
- Granulated Garlic, 1tsp
- Organic Hemp Milk, 1/2 Cup
- Ground Flaxseed, 2Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut 1/2 inch off of the pointy side of each onion. Peel the onion down to the bottom, but don’t remove the bottom root (kept to keeping the union together while “bloomed”).
- Flip the onion, cut-side down, and make 6-9 even cuts vertically down & around the onion, staying 1/2 inch below the root.
- Turn back over and bloom the onion by helping the cuts separate layer by layer.
- Next, mix your wet batter by combining hemp milk and ground flaxseed in a small bowl. In a separate and larger bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients and seasonings.
- Taking one onion at a time, dredge in wet batter, and shake off the excess. Then move to the dry batter, using your hand or a spoon to coat every layer of the onion.
- Transfer onions to a lined sheet pan, cover with foil and bake. After 7 minutes, remove the cover from the onions and brush with hemp oil, then continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Sprinkle each onion with a little more kosher salt when they are removed from the oven. Let cool for a couple minutes, and enjoy!
Your favorite aioli, ketchup, or BBQ sauce are perfect dipping sauces for this dish. Even better than dipping in your favorite sauce alone, add a dropper full of CBD oil to up the ante on this already amazing recipe! Click here for some tips and tricks to get started on cooking with CBD oil.