Horchata is a delicious traditional Mexican drink typically made with rice soaked in water for its unique flavor. By combining white rice, cinnamon, vanilla and a little sweetener, plus our secret ingredient of hemp hearts, this is one horchata recipe you will want to have ready on file!
Horchata is a versatile drink that can be made with a variety of ingredients. This dairy-free option ups the health aspect by adding hemp hearts, using almonds and substituting granulated sugar for agave nectar and coconut sugar. Hemp hearts are an excellent source of protein and are a popular alternative for vegetarians and vegans. This heart-healthy ingredient is known for aiding in cholesterol levels while adding a boost in antioxidants and amino-acids. All the ingredients come together in the blender, then are strained to create this luscious, smooth and satisfying drink.
This simple recipe is a great one to try adding your favorite CBD oil to. By blending your unflavored CBD in with the rest of the ingredients, you are able to add some extra therapeutic properties and maintain the beautiful spiced flavor of the drink. CBD has been thought to work with endocannabinoid system to help reduce anxiety, manage pain and limit inflammation. Combining CBD with this Horchata recipe could make it the perfect bedtime beverage or start to your day.
Yields: 6 Cups
- Organic Soaked Tigernuts, 12oz
- Organic Soaked Hempseeds, 6oz
- Filtered Water, 48oz
- Maple Syrup, 2oz
- Cinnamon, 1 Tbsp
- Kosher Salt, 1 tsp
- Dropperful of CBD Oil
- First, rinse hemp seeds and pre-soaked tiger nuts, and then put them in your blender along with the remaining ingredients.
- Blend on high speed for 1-2 minutes or until everything is totally emulsified and milk is frothy.
- Using cheescloth or a nut milk bag, strain milk, taste and adjust to desired sweetness (save the pulp!). Store milk in a sealed container in the refrigerator and enjoy for up to a week.
The solids left in your cheesecloth or nut milk bag can be used in tons of delicious grain-free baking recipes!