Have you heard of cold brew coffee? Well, cold steeped tea is an equivalent that you can make easily customizable at home. Cold steeped tea (cold brew tea) is a method very similar to making a tradition cup of tea, but with the water heating process removed. Cold steeped tea is often confused with iced tea, but the two are different though equally refreshing.
Cold steeping tea gives a light-bodied flavor and is incredibly easy to make, with just about any variation of flavor a possibility. Cold steeped teas can be made in as little as two hours, or if you prefer a bolder flavor, up to 12 hours. Read on for Dr. Igor’s Guava Leaf and Island Fruit Cold-Steeped Tea!
Guava Leaf & Island Fruit Cold Steeped Tea
Total: 12-24 hours
Prep: 3 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
- 3 guavas, quartered
- 1 mandarin orange (with rind), de-seeded and quartered
- 3 calamansi (whole), de-seeded and halved
- 1 large grapefruit, de-seeded and juiced
- 1-½ tablespoons of guava leaves (or 3 pre-packaged tea bags)
- 8 cups / 64 fl.oz of filtered water
1.) Gather all the ingredients, place them in an 8 cup mason jar or pitcher, and top it off with cold filtered water. Store it in the refrigerator for 12 hours minimum and up to 24 hours for best results.
- Guava has a low glycemic, is high in fiber, has low sodium content, and is high in potassium; all which are extremely beneficial to those who are diabetic. Young guava leaves are widely consumed in South America as a tea that promotes weight loss and treats diarrhea.
- Calamansi is the prized citrus of the Philippines. It is actually a hybrid between a kumquat and a mandarin orange and is widely used in Filipino food in dishes, marinades and beverages. Like many other citruses, calamansi is rich in vitamins A, C, calcium and potassium.
- Grapefruit is very low in calories and high in nutrients, making it a staple in weight loss diet programs.
Related: Do you like energy on the go? Click here for Dr. Igor’s Hemp Fig Protein Bars – packed with heart healthy ingredients, plant protein and natural energy.