No-Bake Pie with a Sacha Inchi Crust, a Superfood Filling with Seasonal Strawberries, Chia Seeds, Hemp Heart and Pea Protein, topped with Maple Whipped Coconut Cream & Pecan Crumble
Total Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Setting Time: 2 hours
Makes: 3 mini pies (1 serving is half a pie)
Allergens: seeds, tree nuts
Strawberries are finally back in season and what better way to use these delicious ruby superfruits than in this recipe for raw mini pies! Filled with tons of different superfoods, this dessert is amazing for your body providing you with healthy fats (MCT oil from coconut, Omega-3s and 6s from hemp hearts and flax seeds), different plant-based protein sources (hemp & pea protein, sacha inchi nuts and pecans), and a range of vitamins and minerals.
These pies require no oven and are so easy to make! Enjoy this fruity dessert that’s naturally sweet and filled with tons of strawberry flavor!
- 1 cup of medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup of pecans
- ½ cup of sacha inchi nuts (Inca nut)
- 2 tablespoons of hemp hearts
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon of pink himalayan salt
- 8 oz (½ lb) of fresh strawberries, green tops removed
- 3 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of hemp protein powder
- 2 tablespoons of pea protein powder
- 1 tablespoon of maca root powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed
- 3 big strawberries, tops removed and diced
- 2x 15 oz cans of coconut cream, kept in the fridge
- 1-½ tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Crushed sacha inchi nuts, crushed pecans and more fresh strawberries
1.) Crust: Gather and measure all the ingredients for your crust. In a food processor, add all the ingredients and process everything into a dough. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
2.) Press: Spray three small pie molds with oil and press the dough into them, with the crust coming up the sides to form a well. Place in the refrigerator while you continue working.
3.) Filling: Measure out the ingredients for your filling and rinse out your food processor. Add in half a pound of strawberries, dates, hemp hearts, chia seeds, lemon juice, maple syrup and blend until all the strawberries are pureéd and the chia seeds are broken up, this will thicken the filling. Add in the hemp and pea protein powder, maca root powder and ground flaxseed and blend again until everything comes together into a thick jam like consistency. Reserve the diced strawberries for later. Transfer into a mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator while you continue working.
4.) Whipped cream: Open the cans of coconut cream, remove only the white cream gathered at the top into a mixing bowl or a tall measuring device like I used so that the cream doesn’t splatter everywhere. Using an electric beater, whip the cream until thickened. Add the maple syrup and coconut flour and beat again until combined.
5.) Assembly: Using a mallet or a rolling pin, crush some sacha inchi nuts and pecans for the topping. Place the diced strawberries in each pie crust and divide the blended strawberry and chia seed filling into three. Top each one with the whipped coconut cream, crushed nuts and more fresh strawberries. Place them in the refrigerator for 2 hours, uncovered. The filling will take this time to thicken and set. After waiting a couple hours, dig in and enjoy!
- It is important to keep the cans of cream in the fridge before whipping, they will not thicken and incorporate air as effectively if they were at room temperature.
- Since there isn’t a lot of added sugar in this pie, use only the sweetest strawberries for this recipe.
- Storing and shelf life: Store in the refrigerator wrapped with cling film for up to 3 days.
- What is a sacha inchi nut? Sacha inchi nuts, known as inca nuts or inca peanuts, is a super seed grown in the rainforest regions of Southeast Asia. They are a nutritional powerhouse that contain all 8 essential amino acids that your body needs and is a complete protein. They can also boost brain function, support a healthy weight and aid digestion.
- Where can I buy sacha inchi nuts? Check online, vegan food shops, Whole Foods and specialty stores. More and more sellers are popping up due to the increase in popularity of this special nut, so keep looking if you cannot find these in your area.
- I cannot find sacha inchi nuts, what can I use instead? Replace the half cup of nuts with more pecans, or you can also use walnuts or cashews.
- I don’t have any hemp or pea protein, what else can I use? You can use any brand of unflavored vegan protein powder of your choice instead. Pumpkin protein works as well.