Freshly Baked Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Seasonal Strawberries, Hemp, Pea Protein, Flax Seed, Psyllium Husk, Chia Seeds, Steel Cut Oats and Maca Root
Total Time: 55 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 2 loaves x 10 slices = 20 servings
Allergens: egg, seeds, tree nuts, wheat
There’s plenty of variations of banana breads out there but none are as equally tasty and good for you as this one. This quick bread is very easy to make and has tons of different superfoods like hemp, maca root and chia seeds that support great overall health, is richer in essential vitamins and minerals, and has more protein and fiber per serving than other banana breads recipes. Try baking this strawberry studded superfood cake and eat it for breakfast, as a midday snack, or for dessert!
- ½ cup of honey
- ½ cup of coconut sugar
- ½ cup of coconut oil, room temperature
- 4 very ripe medium sized bananas (about 1 cup), mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of pea protein powder
- 2 tablespoons of hemp protein powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon of psyllium husks
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon of steel cut oats
- 1 tablespoon of maca root powder
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt
- 2 cups of strawberries, diced, tossed in 1 tablespoon of flour
Related: Looking for a drink to accompany your banana bread? Click here to learn more about the perfect combo of CBD and coffee. Perk up your morning.
1.) Preheat an oven to 375F and gather your ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, add your honey, coconut sugar, coconut oil and eggs. Cream everything together using an electric beater until combined. Add the ripe bananas and vanilla extract and beat again until the bananas are mashed and incorporated into the rest of the wet ingredients.
2.) In the same bowl, add all your dry ingredients and mix together with a spatula to avoid overbeating the batter that will result in a dense loaf.
3.) Place the diced strawberries in a separate mixing bowl, add a tablespoon of flour and mix, then fold the flour covered strawberries in the banana bread batter.
4.) Divide the better into two greased baking molds and bake for 15 minutes. Turn down the heat to 350F without opening the oven and bake for another 40-45 minutes. Test the doneness by poking the banana bread with a toothpick or a skewer. It’s done when the pick comes out clean. Let the loaves cool in the baking molds for 10 minutes before slicing into them. Enjoy!
- Storing and shelf life: Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Store very ripe bananas in the freezer and defrost them in the microwave whenever you need to use them. This way you’ll always have ripe bananas on hand!
- When baking, mixing the wet and dry ingredients separately will give you an evenly mixed batter and a fluffy texture when finished.
- Coating the strawberries with flour will make them easier to fold in the batter and will also give you evenly distributed diced strawberries throughout the banana bread instead of them sinking to the bottom of the loaves.
- Where can I buy maca root powder? Check online, vegan food shops, Whole Foods and specialty stores.
- I don’t have any hemp or pea protein, what else can I use? You can use any brand of unflavored vegan protein powder of your choice instead. Pumpkin protein works as well.
Related: Are you looking for a high-quality and high-potency CBD product? Click here to learn more about Blue Ribbon Hemp, crafted specially for seniors like you.